The Music Programs Last Whirl for the School Year

Amy Fields

Throughout the years Manville High School’s music programs have all continued to grow and become more and more involved. For example, some members of the chorus participate in the CJMEA organization and compete using their amazing talents. Not forgetting that some members of the band are also performing with other musicians, such as Drum Core, Honor bands, and College level ensembles. With this, every musician at Manville High School gets very eager to present their hard work to the community and their family and friends. 

The conclusion of the 2023 Spring Concert was a big hit which involved the Manville High School Chorus, the Concert Band, the Jazz Band, and a new addition to the Guitar Lab class. The chorus as always performed their hearts out and sounded amazing. After their performance, the scholarship in honor of Mr. Robert Longstreet was presented to the honorable student, Juliana Bucciero. The mayor presented her with this scholarship and wonderfully stated how much she deserved to receive this award and how honored he was to present it to her. The band was up next and they performed four pieces total. All the pieces were spectacular but one in particular stuck out, it was the only slower-paced song and Mr. Joseph Espinera, band director, dedicated the piece to the soon-graduating seniors seeing as this was indeed their last concert here at Manville High School. The guitarists were up next performing the piece that they had been practicing in class for weeks. The two guitarists were Rian Sanders and Jamie Gavilanes-Diaz, and on the drumset was Stephon Guzman. Closing out the concert was the Jazz Band, with their four pieces featuring several solos throughout two of the pieces. This group practiced every Tuesday night for weeks not only to perform at this concert but also to compete in Teen Arts with these pieces. Although this was the last concert, there will still be one last performance from Manville High School’s Chorus, who will be performing at the Class of 2023’s graduation ceremony. 

To look back on other recent performances, the Manville Marching Band performed in the 2023 Memorial Day parade. The band has taken part in the parade in past years, but it has been a few years since the last time due to Covid. The Marching Band gets one last performance together and the new band members get a nice preview of what Marching Band truly is. This year there were many younger kids who joined the veteran band members in making memories during this fun event. During the parade, all the new and veteran members were very excited to take part in this tradition, although it was a bit different than in the past seeing as Main Street is getting updates currently. Despite this minimal change, the band was eager to experience a parade different from the previous years. After playing the school’s Alma Mater while marching across town, everyone gathered at the VFW for a service honoring the Veterans and enjoying refreshments with other members of the town. Following the gathering, the band walked back to the school together where the band members were dismissed for the last time in the 2023 school year.