Student Spotlight: Fatima Diarra Awarded the African American Scholar by College Board

Staff Writer

Manville High School’s Seniors are putting in the efforts for scholarships, and they are being rewarded for it! Senior, Fatima Diarra was recently awarded the African American Scholar for 2020-2021 by the College Board.  She earned the award based on her achievements on the PSAT/NMSQT. 

Students who are eligible for this scholarship must have taken the “PSAT/NMSQT and are African
American, Hispanic American or Latinx, Indigenous, attend school in a rural area, or are from a small town, may be invited to apply for academic recognition as part of the College Board National Recognition Programs,” according to College Board.

In addition to this, students must have received qualifying level scores on the test, earned a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher by the middle of their junior year, and identify as African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Indigenous and/or attend school in a rural area or small town. College Board then contacted students who were deemed eligible for recognition.

College Board communicates in relation to this scholarship that, “College Board’s National Recognition Programs create pathways to college for students from underserved communities by awarding them academic honors and connecting them with universities across the country.”

Congratulations to Fatima for representing our small community, while making big strides.