Hoofprints

Notre Dame Fire Investigation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Notre Dame Fire Investigation

Emily Swindell

The world was shocked when the world-famous, 800-year old Notre Dame cathedral suddenly struck fire and burned to the ground. How the fire started remains under investigation, which could last several more weeks, but it was made complicated when crucial evidence was destroyed by the tons of water that was used to put out the flames. Officials have stated that they’ve interrogated dozens of individuals, including workers, staff, officials, architects, and others in the local government, but have no leads on what initially caused it.

Two potential theories have emerged. First, many speculate that a short circuit near it’s spire (ceiling of the cathedral), possibly caused by electrified bells started the fire. Or the second theory is that the fire was caused by negligence of the cathedral workers, which came about after the discovery of cigarette butts found inside.

A week later, the smoke was cleared up, and officials were finally allowed inside to perform their investigation. To their surprise, majority of the interior of the church remained intact and almost immune to the fire, including the stained glass windows and much of the art, statues, and other relics. The steeple however had been completely charred and had caved in completely, which is why officials weren’t let inside the church until the rubble stopped.

In the meantime, French President Emmanuel Macron praised the firefighters that worked hard to put out the flames and stated that he wanted the cathedral rebuilt, and hoped that it would be finished within the next 5 years, which differs significantly to the 200 years it took to build the original.

“We now have to get things done,” Macron said. “We will act, and we will succeed.” He also claimed that the rebuilt cathedral would be “even more beautiful.” Before he knew it, donations started coming in from all around the world. Within days, about €880 million ($994 million USD) had been raised for the rebuilding project. Experts anticipate that the full cost will come to be at least $8 billion but from what it looks like, they’ll scrape up the money in no time.