Middle Earth at Manville High School

Middle Earth at Manville High School

Rosmery Aldana

Middle Earth is a nonprofit agency that provides free programs for students in the third grade and up. Cory Matthew, who helps facilitate Middle Earth at MHS, communicates that it has a variety of programs including the Employment Readiness, College Readiness, and Journeys Programs.

The Employment Readiness Program teaches students skills for future employment and even helps them find a job. Participants learn how to write their resumes, fill out applications, and the principles for a good reputation. It is a 16-week program that usually meets every Wednesday. It starts only two times per year, once during the summer and once during the school year.

The College Readiness Program teaches students everything they need to know about college and helps them explore to find the right one. This program meets with juniors and seniors once a week during lunchtime.

Lastly, Journeys is an after-school safe place for students to hang out or do their homework. It is available from 3 pm-6 pm every weekday except Tuesdays in the MHS cafeteria.

High school is one of the most difficult, transitional, and confusing times people go through. Middle Earth’s goal is to be there for students and guide them in the right direction. Students should take advantage of the opportunities Middle Earth provides in their programs. If students are interested in knowing more about Middle Earth, they can go to the cafeteria after school and talk to one of the mentors there to help them build a better future!