MHS Prom 2018

MHS Prom 2018

Maria Castro

Prom, is it worth it?
This is the question I, and many of my peers asked ourselves for a good half of the year. At the start of high school, it’s undeniable that we all look forward to being an upperclassman so we can experience all of the perks that come with it. One of the biggest perks: Prom.

Over the years, I’ve always heard people say that prom is a “rite of pas-
sage,” and, now that I’ve been to it, I can see what they mean. In the films I’ve seen of teens approaching the end of their high school careers, there’s an inevitable prom scene.

Usually it takes place in a garishly decorated school gymnasium and is packed with slow dances to songs like “Forever Young” and “Time After Time.” Manville High School’s prom was far from the movies, but it was still memorable. For over a year, the Junior class officers worked to plan the best prom they could, from the location, to the food, the music, and other little details that added up to make an overall great night that their classmates would all enjoy.

The night took place at The Marigold banquet hall in Somerset, NJ,
and started off with a cocktail hour where everyone could catch up, get a look at each other’s outfits, eat, and prepare for the rest of the night. Later on there was a buffet of food set out for dinner, followed by an ice cream bar for dessert.

Once the cocktail hour ended, we were all brought into the hall decorated with blue lights and tables furnished with centerpieces the class officers had made. The DJ started off with a slow song, and after that, had everyone dancing the whole night to a wide range of songs, from “Shots,” to “Baby” to “Sweet Caroline.” Along with the DJ, there were professional photographers for anyone who wanted to get their picture taken with their date or their friends. The addition of a photo booth was a great touch for anyone who didn’t want to take professional photos, or just wanted a tangible thing they could take home at the end of the night. It was nice to have the ability to capture the moments in photos for years to come and look back at that day.

At the end of the night, prom royalty was crowned based on our votes, with Prom Prince and Princess going to Brad Schuyler and Brooke Hoodja, and King and Queen going to Tore Lombardino and Cami Adams. Prom is a special night with your high school friends to remember for years to come. It’s a time for everyone to celebrate the school year coming to an end, and one of the last times graduating seniors all get to be together.

Although I have been waiting for my prom since I was a freshman, I was even more thrilled on the idea of prom because I knew I was going to experience something special. I’m glad I attended. I think what I’ll remember most is the excitement I felt the whole day, whether it had been from the adrenaline I felt when I woke up, to the quality time I spent with my friends as we got ready together, or the sight of everyone on the dancefloor together. I think we all have an expectation of what the perfect prom is, the ideal dress, date, and all around fairytale experience for one night. Honestly, prom isn’t like it is in the movies, but it’s still a special night that you should
experience if you get the chance.