Get to know Mustang Wrestling

Ivanna Maldonado

During the times of Manville High School, we see many different sports teams play. Like MHS Softball and Baseball, as well as the Boys and Girls Varsity Soccer for MHS in the spring. As well as the MHS Basketball team for both boys and girls in the winter, and MHS Boys and Girls Cross Country and Football team in the fall. Competing greatly to bring Manville, a small city, the gold and to show a big joy of pride for the town. But we also have one team that has benefit the odds with their greatest athletes wrestling their way to success into college. That is the Manville High School and ABIS Middle School Wrestling Teams.

Manville High School has been a part of the athletic sport of wrestling ever since the school’s opening in 1957 through 1958. There has been teams for wrestling over the years. The coach for this year’s wrestling team has been Coach Gorbatuk, accompanied by MHS Assistant Coach Markowitch and Volunteer High School Assistant Coach Castro at MHS. Alexander Batcho Intermediate Middle School (ABIS)’s head coach has been Coach Putvinski and Volunteer ABIS Assistant Coach Sperduto have been teaching the junior wrestlers to do their very best, as well as joining into the High School stage.

I have asked Coach Gorbatuk questions and also one of our sophomore wrestlers soon graduating in 2020, Shane Lallkissoon. During the 2017-18 wrestling season, they have been having a successful run, finishing the season at 15 wins and 6 losses, making it to the semi-finals of the North II Group I Section. They were Skyland Conference Valley Division Co-Champions, took first place at the Edison Classic, Third Place at the BEAR Invitational, Fourth Place at the District 18 Tournament and beat Belvidere on the road. However, their season is not over yet! Shane Demeter, Matthew Rogalski, and Michael Tyle are still alive in regions with a chance to wrestle in Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall in the NJSIAA State Tournament. The MHS season is not over yet.

They always have high expectations in our wrestling program and that will not change. Sadly, they will be losing seven senior wrestlers, that have won 69 dual meets and went to two straight sectional finals; but they still expect to contend for conference titles, sectional titles, and every individual honor possible once they reach that time of the season. As long as the wrestlers make good decisions off the mat and dominate in the classroom, they will take care of themselves and will continue to be a competitive program for many years.

We have taken a look into one of our sophomore students, Shane Lallkissoon. Shane will be graduating in 2020. However, he has been wrestling ever since middle school days at the beginning of 6th grade. He plans to continue wrestling in college and has even considered becoming an instructor or coach during his career. Here is what he had to say about being apart of ABIS and Manville wrestling team during the playoff season, “It’s definitely a cool experience to wrestle in the playoffs. No empty seats, super loud, and fans cheering. It’s nothing new. We made it to the playoffs countless of times and we are used to the loud environment, packed stands and wrestling in tight matches.”
I have also asked Coach Gorbatuk if there are any concerns or advice for the upcoming 8th grade wrestlers from ABIS, coming up to the High School as 9th grade freshman. He states, “At MHS, we have a very demanding schedule and our daily routines require a lot of mental and physical toughness. Therefore, the transition into high school is difficult for freshman. Thankfully, our ABIS wrestlers have demonstrated the ability to transition into great high school wrestlers thanks to their summer training and daily efforts in the winter time.” Good luck to all ABIS 8th grade Students! We will be seeing you over at the MHS to show us your true talent and be apart of the Mustang Pride!

We hope that the MHS wrestlers continue their best to bring Manville the best that they can be. Better yet, encourage young students to join the team and wrestle to the fullest. Stay Strong Mustangs!