New Classes For The New Year

Ivanna Maldonado

On the third week of January, students started putting together next year’s schedule.

Principal Hemberger and the guidance counselors have been placing new courses from the 2018-19 school year. Over 30 new courses have been added by Principal Hemberger and the guidance counselors. They were a stretch since last year and students have been able to choose at least one another we are often stuck with because there were too many students in another course we wanted.

During an interview with Principal Hemberger, who has been part of MHS since the new year, said that we needed new courses and we didn’t want any students to be stuck with the same courses and not have any form of fun. In the interview, I have asked that if he know how many courses were going to be in the school or if you were given the list of brand new courses by the board of education.

“Nobody gave a number or staff or the amount of teachers that were functional for the courses provided. Instead they were broken down into separate courses so we can give the best offers to the students.” Hemberger said. He knew that there were a lack of new courses and decided to break them down into specific semester courses and found the right teachers that were eligible for these specific types of courses such as Drawing/AP Drawing or Human Behavior.

Another question that mostly everyone had in mind was if he was going to bring new teachers to fill in some courses for the new year? Will there be enough teachers for the position that are offered? Hemberger says “We are trying to new and more teachers to fit the positions. It depends if the state will give us a more higher budget or much more state funding for the new teaching positions” The Board are trying to get new teachers in order to fit the positions needed for the new courses, it only depend how the state of New Jersey will give MHS the proper funding/budget for getting those teachers. If we have enough for the next year, we’ll probably have the right amount to bring the new teachers into Manville High School.

There is some information needed for the new courses for 2018-19! With the new courses added in the new school year, we will be able to learn new things, practice new ideas and get us ready for college courses. Good luck for all the students getting in the new courses. And also everyone will be doing well for 2018-19.