National Honor Society Toy Distribution

Franchessca Votteler

On Thursday, November 18, 2021, the Manville High School National Honor Society held its very first gift distribution. The National Honor Society (NHS) was established in 1921, according to the NHS website it “elevates a school’s commitment to the values of scholarship, service, leadership, and character”. The NHS chapter here at Manville High School is led by Mrs. Gottfried, a teacher at the high school. Due to the impacts of hurricane Ida, Manville held a donation drive at ABIS back in September 2021. Many residents of Manville were left displaced from their homes or lost a lot in general. The donation drive included toiletries, clothing, food, baby supplies, and most of all, toys. Due to the abundance of toy donations from the generosity of local people, there was a lot leftover. Now that the holiday season is coming closer, the NHS wants to do anything they can to help. Currently, many families are still struggling and something as simple as a toy can bring the children who may not have access to any this year a lot of joy.

NHS members began to sort out the items. These ranged from toys to books to strollers and backpacks, anything a parent could need for their child’s entertainment and education. The gift distribution took place in Christ the King across the street from Alexander Batcho Intermediate School (ABIS) where the items were being stored. Beginning at 12:50 PM,  residents and people passing by began to come and check it out. NHS student volunteers brought out many items and made sure people received what they needed. There were many happy faces walking around seeing all of the items on display. Manville is a very unified community and the NHS members want to be a part of this in any way they can. The remaining toys will be donated by Manville to a place where other children and families in need can receive toys for the holiday season. Stay tuned for more events in Manville for the Thanksgiving and holiday season hosted by Manville or the NHS this year.

A big thanks to Dr. Maroun, Manville’s Superintendent, for creating this communal project, as well as facilitating the space and so on!