DeNapoli’s Dedication to Manville

Alexis Garcia

Mr. Pat DeNapoli, the current Varsity Softball and ABIS Boys Basketball Coach, is one of the most heavily involved teachers in the Manville School District. He is widely known for his association with sports, one of his greatest passions. A physical education teacher instructs students about sports, physical development, health, and proper nutrition. A PE teacher has knowledge of sports and the health sciences. This kind of teacher shows students not only how to play various sports, but also how physical activity benefits the muscles and overall health, which Mr. DeNapoli does a great job with. 

He explains how he became a Physical Education teacher: “…by going to college. I started at RVCC and transferred to Kean University, where I later graduated with a BA in health and physical education. I was quickly hired in Bound Brook’s school district as a part time PE teacher and about 6 months later, I interviewed at Manville and was hired full time for the PE teacher at Roosevelt. After about a year and a half they moved me to MHS.”

It is also a plus for gym teachers to have a background in sports they participated in when they were once in high school or college. It shows true passion and expertise on the subject of sports, which is what Mr. DeNapoli has experience with. After asking him a few questions, we are able to gain an insight on his own high school experiences. “I did participate in sports when I went to high school. I played football and baseball for 4 years. I honestly liked them both equally, but I was a better football player and put more time in the off season for football,” he says. “A couple athletic accomplishments that I’ve had is, I’ve played in a Group 4 football state championship game my sophomore year at Giants stadium. We were undefeated going into that game and eventually lost. That experience of playing in the stadium and going into the locker room for halftime will never be forgotten.”

Mr. DeNapoli’s life experience with sports makes him a dedicated coach as well as a memorable physical education teacher.