September’s Teacher of The Month: Mr. Kevin Caldwell

Veronica Fisher

Every month of every school year the faculty, students, and parents of MHS participate in voting for the Teacher of The Month Award. For the first month of the 2021-2022 school year, Mr. Caldwell was voted Teacher of the Month!

Mr. Caldwell has been teaching at Manville High School for 14 years. He is an English teacher, Cross Country Coach, Class of 2024 Advisor, and Book Club Advisor. Caldwell is always determined to get his students interested in reading, improve their writing skills, and help them to become critical thinkers. He says, “My job in school, in general, is to be positive and helpful to students and colleagues and contribute to the Manville community that I love.”

His favorite moments at MHS are always when our students are either having an insane amount of fun together, accomplishing a goal they didn’t think they could reach or just working hard to make the school a better place or themselves better people.  “One of the gifts of working in a high school is that there is always valued work to be done or an event to enjoy.”

Mr. Caldwell has always been super involved at our school, in the past, he was the class advisor to 2013, 2015, and 2019, book club advisor for a decade or so, newspaper co-advisor for a couple of years, and yearbook co-advisor for a couple of years. Now he is Advisor of the literary magazine/writing club “lunar patriot” and has been for 4 years now. He also controls the clock/scoreboard for winter sports.

Caldwell admits he is not one to really plan long term, but for now, he imagines his future to be full of plenty of good reads, adventuring, staying active, and teaching a plethora of more years at MHS. He would like to share that he couldn’t have asked for “great and BETTER colleagues” and he believes that it is a privilege to work in the Manville community. He says “This kind of stuff embarrasses me, but it’s really nice to think that people took the time to vote for me, so thank you.”